Wednesday, 27 May 2015 11:38

Road Tax & Personalised Registrations

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Road Tax & Personalised Registrations
Regulations have changed...
UK Road Tax regulations changed on October 1st 2014.
From 1st October 2014, when a used vehicle is sold, road tax is no longer transferable from the previous owner to the new owner. Any remaining road tax left on the vehicle will be automatically refunded to the original registered keeper when DVLA receive notification of change of ownership (only complete months, of course!). The new owner must tax the vehicle themselves when they purchase the vehicle.
We have had reports from some coach operators that tell us tax can be difficult to apply-for online, because DVLA don't seem to have records about the PSV MOTs (perhaps with these being part of the DVSA system instead).
This means that to apply for road tax, a new owner would have to make a visit to a Post Office instead, with the relevant documentation. To be able to tax a vehicle, the V5C registration certificate and MOT certificate must be available.
Retaining a Personalised Registration
If you have a vehicle that you are selling or want to part-exchange and it has a personalised registration that you would like to retain, you will have to complete this process before you sell your vehicle. This is because the V5C and MOT would have to be provided with the vehicle so that it can then be taxed by a new owner.
The way the system used to work was that the remaining tax would be left on the vehicle whilst the documentation was changed.
Unfortunately this approach cannot now be used.
Our advice would be that if you are thinking about selling a vehicle, get the documentation process completed as soon as you can.

Then you would be able to sell or part-exchange your vehicle when the V5C and MOT certificates have all been changed to show the new registration.

With Courtesy, from



Read 2046 times Last modified on Tuesday, 19 January 2016 11:03
More in this category: Why Move to Devon ??? »